Friday, May 09, 2008

Lightning Round, Part 2


1. So, after an eventful first issue, I see that Secret Invasion is settling into the usual Bendis rhythms of, er, nothing happening. With that said, I will say that if the character they're supposedly telling us didn't die way back when actually didn't die, and will prove to be the real deal (I suppose one of those Skrull phonies should probably have to be genuine), that would be cool. I always thought it was a mistake that they killed her in the first place. That said: how did the Skrulls trick Mephisto? (I'm being cagey so as not to totally spoil the "reveal", but if you know the character in question that makes sense.)

2. We live in an age of miracles and wonders, where almost every series from Marvel's Silver Age is available in reprint in some format, whether it's an expensive hardcover Masterwork edition or a cheaper Essential - even the Kree Captain Marvel, and I think at this point most people probably figured Marvel had forgotten they owned the character. Hell, even Sgt. Fury and the Rawhide Kid have Masterworks (although I think most people would much prefer the former in an Essential). Even those weird Spider-Man black & white magazines, for the love of God. However, there is one glaring omission, a series that featured the work of some of Marvel's best cartoonists and creators - people like Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Gene Colan, Bill Everett, John and Marie Severin, and Roy Thomas - doing memorable work in an unusual format: Not Brand Ecch. So far as I know there's never been so much as a whisper about reprinting this series in any format, and that's a shame, because this one I'd actually buy.

3. Why don't more Emo kids like the Notorious B.I.G.? His first album is more Emo than a crying kitten at a Get-Up Kids concert.

No comments :